Monday, October 31, 2016

Happy Halloween!

We sure have been enjoying this Halloween season!  We went to PumpkinTown, a fun little Halloween festivity in downtown Dayton, on Saturday.  The craft night Halloween party was last night, and tonight we'll be having a blast at the good ol CSBC Fall Festival!  

I really enjoy coming up with matching Halloween costumes every year, and I enjoy even more looking back through all the years of Halloween costumes we have shared together as a family. 

It all started back in 2010, the year of our marriage.  We were such happy, sweet little newlyweds.  We were invited to a college friend's Halloween party and decided to be the lovebirds Carl and Ellie Frederickson from the movie Up, a movie that we saw together on one of our first dates.
Joel probably didn't know what he was getting himself into, because his costumes keep getting a bit more ridiculous every year.  
In 2011, we were Goldilocks and a bear, and what no one knew at the time (except for Joel and myself), was that Lydia was a teeny tiny baby in my belly!
That, of course, made the next Halloween even more fun when we added a baby bee to the family!
In 2013, we worked around the most adorable mouse costume I had ever seen (and all I had to do was add a bow)!  Joel really got in the spirit and made an awesome mousetrap costume!
What's that making my apple costume bulge?  It's a not so teeny tiny Anna Kate!  In 2014, Lydia loved (and both girls still do) the book The Very Hungry Caterpillar and decided that she wanted to be a "flap flap."  Joel set to work again (man, he sure is handy!) and made her very detailed wings and his own cake costume.  I made the apple and added some yellow touches to the butterfly...even had to dye those silly tights!
Now here come some of my favorites...twice the fun with two kids!  Little Red Riding Hood and company.  I only had to make the wolf's tutu and Red's cape.
And now we're back to the present with this year's costumes.  I found Lydia's dress at WeCare, a local thrift store, for 75 cents, which led to the obvious Snow White family theme.  I was feeling a little bad about making poor little Anna Kate be Dopey, but it turned out that she loved her costume and didn't want to take it off each time I tried it on her.  She even liked the hat!  I was pleasantly surprised!  I threw Joel's costume together at the last minute, or should I say the last hours.  I thought it would be so simple, but I ran into a bit of trouble when I accidentally sewed the head hole shut.  Whoops.  Then I decided it'd be quicker to glue the gold trim on with fabric glue (I was running out of time).  That was an unsuccessful, sticky disaster.  So then I tried to quickly sew it on, which then gunked up my sewing machine, and we called it finished.  Thankfully, I borrowed the evil queen's costume.  Good thing, because I reached my sewing limit and am ready to take a break from that pesky sewing machine until next Halloween.  So there you have it.  Habermas Halloweens through the years.  We'll just have to wait and see how long I can persuade my family members to keep this matchy-matchiness up....hopefully (maybe) I can squeeze in a few more years.  :)
And don't you worry, I will post plenty more pictures soon, because I took just a couple more.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment